mother's day
as i get older, i learn to appreciate my mother more and more. throughout middle school, high school, and college, I would alternate best friends more than fashion trends. However, one person that has never lost that title is my mom. Since I was little, I have trusted my mom with everything. During the saddest moments of my life, it is my mom I want to be around, and only my mom. A couple years ago, when I thought Jesse and I were going to break up, I called my mom at work. She dropped everything and rushed to my house. She sat with me for hours while I cried. Thankfully, Jesse and I survived that night, and now that night will always symbolize my friendship with my mom. She is always willing to listen.
And she has listened plenty. Growing up, I would often sit on the bar in our kitchen while Mom cooked. I'd chat away (probably annoying her to death, but she never let on) about my friends, my day, my school work (I still talk her ear off but at least I'm considerate enough to help set the table while I do so). I have probably worn out my mother's ears over my lifetime, but she never fails to listen, no matter what.
My mom wasn't only my friend. She knew how to balance that friendship with rules. My siblings and I had strict curfews and rules growing up. I have yet to play spin the bottle - I wasn't allowed to go to boy/girl parties until 7th grade. By that time, people were "too mature" for such games. In high school, we knew we better not even think about drinking, trying drugs, or bringing home bad grades. It simply wasn't an option. As a result, my parents raised three ambitious, successful, moral adults.
I hope that somehow my mom knows how much she means to me. She is truly my best friend. My role model. I can imagine no greater accomplishment in life than being a mother exactly like her.
Happy Mother's Day, Mom.
And she has listened plenty. Growing up, I would often sit on the bar in our kitchen while Mom cooked. I'd chat away (probably annoying her to death, but she never let on) about my friends, my day, my school work (I still talk her ear off but at least I'm considerate enough to help set the table while I do so). I have probably worn out my mother's ears over my lifetime, but she never fails to listen, no matter what.
My mom wasn't only my friend. She knew how to balance that friendship with rules. My siblings and I had strict curfews and rules growing up. I have yet to play spin the bottle - I wasn't allowed to go to boy/girl parties until 7th grade. By that time, people were "too mature" for such games. In high school, we knew we better not even think about drinking, trying drugs, or bringing home bad grades. It simply wasn't an option. As a result, my parents raised three ambitious, successful, moral adults.
I hope that somehow my mom knows how much she means to me. She is truly my best friend. My role model. I can imagine no greater accomplishment in life than being a mother exactly like her.
Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

2 Comments:
hear hear... i'll toast to that.
this is very, very sweet.
Post a Comment
<< Home