Summer Reading 09, part 1
Last year, I reviewed the books I read over the summer and several people actually used my comments when choosing books for themselves, so, I thought I'd give it a shot again this year. After all, one of my favorite parts about summer break is having time to read for pleasure!
So far, this summer, I haven't read many new books, but I'll comment on the ones I have read...
The Color of Water - this book is a memoir written by a black man in dedication to his white mother. it's a fantastic memoir that describes his struggles growing up as a mixed child and his embarrassment of his white mother who seemed completely clueless that she didn't fit in at their "black" neighborhood. I saw this book at Barnes & Noble recently on a "summer reading" table so I must not be the only person recommending it!
The Last Girls - I actually found this book on my bookshelf and took it on my honeymoon. Evidently, Jesse had bought it and never got past the first few pages. I, however, loved it. It is a "girl's book" though (a print version of a chic flick). The narrator changes among a group of women as it tells their stories from college until their adult lives. In college they were best friends, but their lives have taken very different paths as they grew up. I really enjoyed the book though.
Harry Potter: Half-Blood Prince & Deathly Hallows. I'm sorry. I had to put it on here. See, every time a movie comes out, I reread the book first. And that usually hooks me until I have to finish the series. So i recently read the last two books of the Potter series (again). And still, they're incredible. If you haven't tried them yet, DO IT. Great reads....
Stay tuned! I'm still reading!
So far, this summer, I haven't read many new books, but I'll comment on the ones I have read...
The Color of Water - this book is a memoir written by a black man in dedication to his white mother. it's a fantastic memoir that describes his struggles growing up as a mixed child and his embarrassment of his white mother who seemed completely clueless that she didn't fit in at their "black" neighborhood. I saw this book at Barnes & Noble recently on a "summer reading" table so I must not be the only person recommending it!
The Last Girls - I actually found this book on my bookshelf and took it on my honeymoon. Evidently, Jesse had bought it and never got past the first few pages. I, however, loved it. It is a "girl's book" though (a print version of a chic flick). The narrator changes among a group of women as it tells their stories from college until their adult lives. In college they were best friends, but their lives have taken very different paths as they grew up. I really enjoyed the book though.
Harry Potter: Half-Blood Prince & Deathly Hallows. I'm sorry. I had to put it on here. See, every time a movie comes out, I reread the book first. And that usually hooks me until I have to finish the series. So i recently read the last two books of the Potter series (again). And still, they're incredible. If you haven't tried them yet, DO IT. Great reads....
Stay tuned! I'm still reading!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home