the world as i see it

everybody thinks someone out there wants to know their opinions. their problems. their life story. i guess i'm no different.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

teachin' dirty

I saw on the news last night that a school in Texas has decided to let teachers carry concealed weapons. The teachers are handpicked by the administration at teachers who would "respond to the scene" if needed. They also have to attend several different trainings and have to be approved for a concealed weapon. The school's reasoning is that it is 30 miles away from law enforcement and is very close to a highway.
This disturbs me on SO many levels! For one, have our school systems gotten so scary that I should feel the need to come to school armed and dangerous? For another, aren't we just helping students when we start stashing guns around the school buildling? Students can crack any computer code you set in front of them and I guarantee a smart one could figure out how to get a gun if desired. For yet another, I just plain and simply don't like the idea of teachers having guns in school. What if a teacher goes crazy and pulls it in his/her students? What if a teacher shoots at an intruder before it's proven necessary? There are so many what if's!
I love my students dearly, but I won't be "teachin' dirty" for them in this lifetime.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jesse Osbourne said...

wow.

this is interesting. i've got to find out more about this.

the day you start packin' heat is the day i hope you start looking for other employment.

otherwise i'll be sending you out the door with a kevlar vest on.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Leslie Murphy said...

I'm not into carry a gun either, Coury...but some days I think a taser would be awesome. It might be the key to surviving my sixth hour class this year.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home