the world as i see it

everybody thinks someone out there wants to know their opinions. their problems. their life story. i guess i'm no different.

Monday, September 29, 2008

the nickel tax

Okay, let me begin by saying that I cannot stand politics. I don't really believe in any politician. Therefore, I don't normally get actively involved in any campaigning. However, this November, Marion County citizens have the opportunity to vote for something that can have so many positive effects on our community. It is not a politician who may say one thing to secure your votes and then act in a different way once you point him into office - it's something much more dependable than that - it's the nickel tax.

On November 4th, I'm asking all of you who vote in Marion County to vote yes to the nickel tax. I am asking you this as an educator, but also someone who owns a home and will probably be more directly affected by the tax than the benefits... but I know it's worth it.

The nickel tax, in case you don't know, if passed, will add an additional tax to homeowners. This money will go to the improvement of our schools' facilities.

Most people who oppose the nickel tax have two reasons: one is based in selfishness and the other is based in ignorance. The selfish reason is that people don't want to pay any more taxes. While this sounds understandable, what those people are forgetting is that the money is going to the youth - and therefore the future - of our county. In this economic crisis, especially, we need to be able to prepare our youth to pursue college degrees and make decent salaries. This can be helped if we have up to date science labs and facilities. The other reason is based in ignorance because people say either "The schools don't need improvements" or "The schools waste all kind of money on trips so why don't they just use this." Let me explain why these comments are not relevant.

Most people think our schools don't need improvements because our janitors do such an excellent job keeping the school clean and well-managed. However, students who go through the building know that we don't have enough electrical outlets, the science labs are out to date, there are several ceiling tiles that leak every time it rains. Not to mention, if you've ever attended Junior MIss, you know how desperately we need air conditioning in the gym. And these are just things at the high school level.

So why don't schools just stop sending teachers to conferences and put that money towards our facilities? We can't! There is a set amount of money given to schools and that money is divided up in categories, predetermined before it reaches us. We have a certain amount for professional development (which was seriously cut this year). That money cannot be spent on any other endeavors. The money we're given for facilites is minimal. No matter if we start buying every student his/her textbook and kept all teachers from going to trainings, we still wouldn't have the money to renovate our schools.

I know there are people out there who read this blog who will be voting on November 4th. I'm asking you to please vote for the nickel tax to pass. If you have a question, please feel free to email me or comment here. If I don't know the answer, I'll find it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do doors and hinges cost so much? Most of the estimates I have seen are more than 1,000 per door....sounds a bit much to me. Are these the only doors available to buy? Are the doors the cheapest or the most expensive we could have chosen from? I know you probably don't know these answers. I am just curious about the over the top spending that was used in the estimates. Also, correct me if I am wrong, I think I read that the high school needed a new gym floor. I thought it was refinished just a few years back. I still don't know how I am going to vote, but I applaud your efforts for trying to educate us all.

8:40 AM  
Blogger lethes said...

It's funny that you mention that. I also posted this blog on my facebook page and I had someone ask me the same question. I took the question directly to the superintendent. This was his response....

According to state regulations, they have to list ALL renovations they would like to see happen to our buildings - including the doors of the buildings and the renovations to the bus garage. HOWEVER, the main priorities, should the nickel tax be passed, would be the ATC, Calvary, and the high school. He said the other renovations, such as doors, would not occur for YEARS, probably not until the buildings needed major renovations overall.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that the state will MATCH the nickel!! And other surrounding counties have already passed the nickel - Nelson County has passed three of them!

If you have facebook, I encourage you to read my note and the comments that follow. It's really informative and interesting.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for responding. I really hope you are still teaching when my young ones get to high school. You seem to go out of your way to help your students and that is very respectable in my book. I will have to check out that facebook page. I really need all the information I can get.

Also, good luck on the wedding! I don't know you personally, but I graduated with Jesse and he was always nice to everyone. He never judged you by how you looked or dressed. He judged you for the person you were. As the old sayin' goes....Good things happen to good people. :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger lethes said...

Ah!!! How sweet!! Your comments about Jesse gave me goose bumps for some reason.
I think he's pretty incredible too. I don't know if you've seen him recently, but you'll be happy to know he hasn't changed. :)

Definitely check out the facebook page regarding the nickel tax. If you can't get to the post, let me know and I'll figure it out. :)

11:53 AM  
Blogger lethes said...

Oh - and thanks for the comments about me as a teacher - I am in the profession for the kids, so it comes easy to me to go above and beyond for them!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home