the world as i see it

everybody thinks someone out there wants to know their opinions. their problems. their life story. i guess i'm no different.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

peanut butter and jelly

up until yesterday, i thought i was pretty cool for being a 'world traveler.' after all, i've been to six different countries in europe in three years.
then, school started. and i was introduced to william and michael - two teachers who just arrived here from china. (and yes, 'william' and 'michael' are americanized versions of their real names).
william and michael are true world travelers. they left their families and their homes in china to come to a completely foreign place to teach. the reality of this sunk in at lunch yesterday.
william sat beside me. he had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from the cafeteria and after a few bites, he asked, "What is this?"
"um. It's peanut butter. And grape jelly."
"Is it some type of sandwich?"
"Yes."
"Peanuts?"
"Made from them, yes."
"it's good!"

And that's when it hit. Here I sat in front of a man who had never eaten peanut butter - a staple in every American home. (and yet, when I travel to Europe, I don't even have to order - I'm just given predetermined food and I eat it without question). william is not only learning the school system, the language, and the traditions, but everything tiny detail of American life. And American food.
(and I seriously doubt our Chinese buffet comes anywhere close to feeling like home for him).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have taught him the song about it!... "Peanut butter and jelly, that's what i like in my belly"....

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael, you're a mess!

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home