the world as i see it

everybody thinks someone out there wants to know their opinions. their problems. their life story. i guess i'm no different.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

phone numbers

I've realized that I get emotionally attached to phone numbers. Am I alone in this?

Just a few minutes ago, I was looking through my address book on my cell phone and I came across "Tonya." Tonya is my cousin. Tonya passed away about a month ago. The weird thing is, I've had a picture of the two of us on my dresser since the day she died but it wasn't until I saw her phone number there, in my address book, that I got spontaneously sad. Just knowing that if I called that number, I'd inevitably get her voice mail...- or worse, someone else who now owned that number... made things seem so real.
and made me realize how attached i get to phone numbers.
it should've already been obvious to me. after all, i've kept the same cell phone number since i received my first zack morris cell phone 10 years ago -- and even though i've lived in lebanon for six years, i still have a louisville number. i just can't let it go. what if, one day in my future, a long lost friend wants to call and decides to try my old number? i wanna be here!
i'm also attached to 891-8984. it was not only the phone number to the place i lived in with my best friend, but it's also a very cool number.

phone numbers are funny. they almost become a part of us. and a part of those we love.... and miss.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

aww.. buddy!


i have no room to talk- i live in Atlanta with a Kentucky cell phone because i can't let go. try ordering pizza with an 859 area code. yep, they don't believe you.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home