what it's like to be 29 (for those of you who aren't)
it's dreading your next birthday
it's saying "i'm in my twenties" as much as you can
because you know it won't last much longer
it's clinging to the idea that you're still young
you still belong here at the bar
with a drink, in your cleavage-baring shirt.
it's having an established job, friends, family
with no outside drama - just lots of bills.
it's being confident with who you are and what you do
and what you wear -
not worrying about what others think.
it's being ready for the next step
but having to wait for it to come.
it's confidence, stability, charm.
it's so much better than 21.
(this poem is based upon a poem called "what it's like to be a black girl (for those of you who aren't" by patricia smith)
it's saying "i'm in my twenties" as much as you can
because you know it won't last much longer
it's clinging to the idea that you're still young
you still belong here at the bar
with a drink, in your cleavage-baring shirt.
it's having an established job, friends, family
with no outside drama - just lots of bills.
it's being confident with who you are and what you do
and what you wear -
not worrying about what others think.
it's being ready for the next step
but having to wait for it to come.
it's confidence, stability, charm.
it's so much better than 21.
(this poem is based upon a poem called "what it's like to be a black girl (for those of you who aren't" by patricia smith)

8 Comments:
Love it!
Cheers to being 29!!
(atleast for 6 more months)
Life is a trip, and just knowing your next birthday is not just a year, but another decade behind you makes you reminisce on years gone by.
It makes you think of all you've learned, all the people you've known. Makes you realize your mistakes and how you grew from them, or how you still haven't learned your lesson.
It makes you wonder, if you hadn't been so caught up in crazy ambitions, maybe you would have paid more attention to the things... or at the very least, the person that mattered most to you.
So it puts a lump in your throat when you hear those "What might have been" songs and then it makes you consider Tim McGraw's "In my Next 30 years" song and other songs like it to be your anthem(s).
Or in the case of still not learning your lesson, falls more into the category of Gary Alan's "As the Crow Flies" song.
Maybe that's my anthem? Who knows. Here's to our next 30 years, C.
DAD!!! that was awesome!!!
Dad? LMAO. Not quite.
i just assumed b/c it said 'fathertime' - but now i realize it's Father Time....
who is it then??
I know you, and you know me, but you'll never know who me is.
Just consider me your Knight in Ghostly Armor.
maybe you should know something else about me - i hate not knowing who people are. i hate halloween and disney world characters and clowns because i can't see who's hiding behind the mask. it makes me uneasy. it's also why i don't answer phone calls from unknown numbers. so maybe you should tell me who you are. i'd appreciate it.
Ok. I can't comply with that request entirely... but I will stop being cryptic. Certainly know how to ruin a guy's fun. :-(
Anywho... to put you at ease so you aren't freaking out about who I am, I will tell you this:
I tried to drop a hint by using "Knight" and "Ghost". I was never good at figuring out riddles so why should I be good at writing them? :P
Like I was saying, I was using Ghost trying to get you to think "ghost from the past" or at least I think that is how the expression goes. I was using "Knight" to make you think of our alma mater.
You may have 6 months until you turn 30. I have only 3.
That should give a very good idea of who I am, but not exactly who I am. I wouldn't have used an alias if I wanted you to know who I was.
Unlike you, I am not open about what I write, even though I do enjoy writing. I would be perfectly content if people never knew it was me that wrote something, but I still enjoy seeing their reactions.
I kind of like seeing bits and pieces of my past, no matter how distant that past may be. Yet, I still choose to stay disconnected from it.
One last thing. I won't tell you who I am yet. However, if for some odd reason we cross paths again, which isn't likely, I will ask you this:
"Have you ever read anything by father time?"
So if we ever meet again, I will let you know.
Post a Comment
<< Home